1. Squash
2. Square dancing
3. Bread and soup
4. Finishing some important knitting projects
5. Enjoying every last nanosecond of this weather we have been having.
1). First, the squash. I have a problem. I think I may need an intervention of sorts over here, a squash intervention, if you will. I don't know how it happened, but I turned around and the biomass of the squash that has accumulated in my kitchen outweighs that of the human members of my family. Delicata, acorn, butternut, pumpkin.
Here is one way I've been getting rid of it, er, I mean, consuming it:
from cooks.com
Pumpkin Bread
This is a nice loaf. It's not sweet like quick pumpkin bread, and it's not dense. I think it would be good with a mix of whole wheat and white, maybe with a little extra liquid. An extra rise.
We've also been exploring the world of pot pies. My memory of pot pies from my childhood are noteworthy only for their un-noteworthy frozen food convenience-ness. But have you tried a homemade pot pie? Imagine squash browned in butter, tossed with an assortment of fall/winter vegetables (cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, leek) soaked in a bechemel sauce that has been infused with garlic and thyme, with a buttery homemade crust on top... Even Bela said, in a grown up and very nonchalant way 'Oh Mom, this dinner is great. Really yummy.' Try Deborah Madison for some inspiration.
2). As for the square dancing, I don't know. I was just charmed by the little pavilion at Holstein Park, set up for the apple pie contest and fall festival. Chris has promised that, for my birthday, he will take square dancing lessons with me. I know. It isn't something you exactly need lessons for. How hard could it be? But it also isn't something we would do on our own. So we'll wait until Old Town School wants to offer another class, and then we will be there. Even if I have to drag him.
3). Instead of ramble on about bread and soup, I'm just going to say the following:
These two books are rocking my kitchen lately. Man. That is all I have to say.
Book # 1
Book # 2
4). I really like to knit things for my girls. The patterns are cute, the yarn is splendid, the pace is.....FAST. Let's face it. Those kids are a fraction of my size, and knitting for them is ultimately more satisfying than knitting up something for myself. Nonetheless, every once in awhile I think about, and then attempt, to knit something in a grown up size. Like this:
![]() |
| From Rowan Purelife - Recycled Cotton Collection |
5). And finally, enjoying this season. I am working on a little collection that I hope to post soon. Just a representation of this season, by color. Stay tuned. In the meantime, enjoy these pictures of some of the things we've been up to, as we enjoy this beautiful season. Some are taken by Chris, some by Bela, and some by me.
As though it were even possible, my love for my kids has grown by leaps and bounds lately. Can I say that they are the awesome-ist little campers of all time? Bela made eggs and bacon for us in the morning, gladly stumbled out of the tent in the dark of the early morning to pee in the leaves, and obsessively pumped water for our camp. Mae hiked like a champ, collected acorns and earnestly looked for gnomes in the woods. Bela tossed a football around with Chris, climbed trees. Mae constructed forts and hide-outs, spent hours playing with her books and dolls inside them. God I love those girls.
From Kettle Moraine - Greenbush Campground
Garwood Orchards, Indiana - Apple and pumpkin picking
Indiana Dunes - Mt. Baldy


















I love reading your blog. My brother would be so proud of you as we all are. You are a smart, loving mother and wife and so talented and always looking for interesting things to do with your family. I just took a knitting class and finally learned how to complete knitting projects by using the blanket stitch to put things together. I always felt like it looked good until I tried putting it together. So now maybe I can leave the top down sweaters and finish a cable vest that I started about 20 years ago. Enjoy your fall and happy birthday soon.
ReplyDelete