21 January, 2012

Update

Sunset on Sanibel


The girls and I have been sick now for a month. A WHOLE MONTH. I'm not exaggerating. We are coughing up important bits and pieces--it feels like a scene out of a  Brontë' novel, and I half expect to pull my little hankie away from my pale lips and find that dots of blood have stained the linen. This was always a sign that consumption had nearly completed its dirty work and finished off the heroine.  

Ok, so maybe I don't have pulmonary tuberculosis, but this morning? Fever. Again. And snot. So much snot. A veritable factory, I am. The girls are on the up and up, especially Mae, who truly deserves a break. She has suffered the most and the longest, and had to visit a walk-in clinic during our vacation. The culprit? Most likely bronchitis, with secondary bacterial infection of some sort. The little blondies are both on antibiotics, and I am waiting for an opportunity to visit a doctor myself.

Chris and Bela fish

Mae walks the waters


But we tried not to let this ruin our recent trip to Sanibel Island, Fl. It was beautiful - gulf front condo with heated pool, and shells and critters galore. The little ladies spent their days catching hermit crabs, blue crabs, and lizards; making sand castles, gathering shells, playing with dead sea stars. Our screened in porch smelled like beach death by day 7.

Bela, in true Bela form, made about 10 new friends, at least enough to throw a real birthday party in our condo on her special day (she's 7!). Curiously this time they were almost all boys, and Bela earned the title of girlfriend #44 from her favorite - a little cutie from, wait, where were they from? I can't remember, but we almost never saw her as she was busy playing tennis, beach combing, blowing bubbles, spraying silly string, and trying to catch baby birds with a fake nest with her new friends.

Chris always manages to escape the plague


We brought both grandmas with us this time, my mom and Chris', and are really grateful for the time alone with them and the time they got to spend with the kids. Hope they feel the same way still :)

So here we are, back in Chicago, 5 inches of snow on the ground and a pounding headache. The girls have a nice tan, Chris a touch of sun. Me? I went from gray (thanks, Mom) to pukey. I think that was an improvement...?

Convalescing in the sun


Happy winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment