![]() |
| A "yes" moment. Ni-ni baby! |
Clearly, she's not.
In fact, at our 9 month well-baby appointment it was discovered that, GASP, she hadn't gained a single ounce since the appointment before. She dropped down ever-so-slightly in her weight for height percentile rating, thanks to the zero gain and a little extra help from me in stretching her limbs as the nurse measured her length on the paper that covers the exam table. Can you blame me?
My doctor likes to worry; she likes to advise. She feels that is what she is being paid for, I'm sure. She advised me to limit Gillian's tv watching (do 9 month olds watch tv???) She suggested Gillian might be eating out of boredom. She worried that her head was too large. She recommended I night wean as soon as possible. She told me to limit my use of the word "no".
I, on the other hand, like to ignore. I make eye contact and smile, I nod, I look away or down at my baby when she's saying things I don't agree with, so she can't see my eyes rolling. But when she recommended I not use the word "no", I was intrigued.
Yes, I do suppose that we parents overuse this little two letter tool. I walked away from that office with a new personal challenge: avoid the word NO.
It's been pretty funny around here, to say the least. Gillian is crawling and scooting all over the place. She's snatching my glasses off my face, the water out of my hands. She's chewing on computer cords, getting into the as-of-yet never used gas fireplace with the fake logs and the weird fake charcoal/rock pieces. She's ruining games of SORRY out on the front lawn by eating the green pawns, she's stealing crayons, pooping without a diaper on, pulling the cat's tail.
In the spirit of the challenge, I end up running after her with awkward moaning sounds coming out of my mouth. They sound something like Nooaaaahhhhhhhh. Naw. Num. Nu-hu-huh. Instinct number one is to say NOOOOOOOOOO. Reflex takes over; but only long enough to get the NUH sound out. Then, I remember the challenge. And that's where the noises get weird.
This was a lot easier before she started crawling.

No comments:
Post a Comment