30 May, 2013

The Escape

 Something you don't consider when you have your first child is just how that little person is going to not only change the way you behave forever in public, but also create for you a new identity.

I'm not being clear.

Before I had kids, I don't think I ever ran in public unless it was for exercise. Now, I'm forced to do all sorts of public 'panic running' in front of strangers: when we're late to school, when I lose my child at a crowded Chicago Christmas Fair, when my toddler escapes through the front door and heads on out to chill with the neighbors. Naked.

It's with a twinge of bitterness that I let them see me lose my cool, I let them see me sweat.

I'm confronted with public temper tantrums, bathroom accidents, awkward playdates - stretching me past my comfort zone while fellow parents witness.

That's not all. My kids - through their own interests and their own evolving selves - have created an identity for our family that I never imagined I would be a part of.

Somehow, we have become the "crazy pet people."

Now, I like pets. I do! I had a dog as a kid. We had a cat. But check this craziness out:

The current count stands at: 2 guinea pigs, 1 hamster, two  one fire belly toad (one recently, mysteriously, disappeared), 2 old cats, many fish, and 6 chickens.  And the girls expect a dog by next summer.

I spent a good portion of Gill's afternoon nap chasing down 5 escaped chickens today. Prudent #6 (named Peanut) starting making such a ruckus from the coop out back that I  peeked my head out to just catch a glimpse of numbers 1-5 rounding the corner by our back deck.

As I tossed the last of the Isa Browns into the pen I recalled last Sunday afternoon at my Grandma's house. Bela declared she wanted to get a Morning Dove or a carrier Pigeon, and Chris helped her sketch out the elaborate plans for a bird house that could reside on our screened in back porch (I suspect this detail was to be the selling point for me - the bird would live outside).

In all honesty if he gets her a carrier pigeon, I'll be the one living outside. 

The coop and pen - looking from the alley to the house.

The coop, looking from house to alley. Notice the guinea pig garden in front? Lettuce and Radicchio for Mama Mia and Pumkin. Also, who's peeking through the window?

Ha ha ha! Prisoners!


PS - You haven't been introduced formally! We have 3 Isa Browns and 3 Amber Links. Meet:
Bela's Chickens: Stella and Peanut
Mae's Chickens: Lavender and Pinky
My Chicken: Ole Golly
Chris' Chicken: Ondrej (named after the 12 year old boy who lives down the street)

No comments:

Post a Comment