18 November, 2010

Christmas list

 Bela made her Christmas list tonight. She sat in the kitchen with me while I made dinner (chard soup with lemon and rice for them; sashimi for us. And no. They didn't like it.) She perched up there on her tall kitchen stool and carefully sounded out the words (Mom only helped with those pesky 'y's and the irritating silent 'e's and double 'oo's.)




This year's list is more concrete than years past. When asked what she wanted for Christmas just a few months before her 4th birthday, I believe the answer was "orange". And "pink." So this year she has made the list more, well, shoppable.

Bela's list: Play food, (cash) register, chocolate, nesting dolls, candy cane, make up (!), tea cup

Mae's list (as transcribed by Bela): Unicorns, Horses, beds (for the unicorns and horses to sleep in)

Only I don't always like to "shop" Christmas. Every year I set out with the intention of making most of the presents. Every year I get a little bit closer to my goal. Of course, I can't control what Santa does, but I hear those toys are made by hand as well. So he fills her stocking with fairy tea cups, markers, chocolate coins and candy canes, and usually puts something doll related under the tree for her.

I finish the Fall semester in two short weeks, and fully plan on spending every day from December 4th until December 24th in full gift making mode. As much as I would love to talk about my plans, the few of you who read this blog are the intended recipients of most of these holiday treats, so I will show a sampling of the raw materials. The "before", if you will. And hopefully, I'll get some snap shots of the "after" as well.

Ok, not a Christmas gift, but something I just finished the other day for Bela.

For a special project, from Purl

Ditto that.

Oh so many things to be done with yarn

Beautiful vintage ribbon/trim from Brooklyn General

A little dress for my littlest

4 comments:

  1. On Anja's Christmas list for two years was "A round, pink, pig shaped bed that shakes & oinks when I lay down on it." Needless to say, Santa didn't get around to making that gift for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What luscious fabrics and yarns. Purl is on my bucket list. I too have the same aspirations and now that I am retired I am getting there. Several sweaters wrapped, several hats done, flap mittens in progress and a sweater to go. What fun. I was even knitting last nite at the pickleball courts. have fun. AJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bela's sweater is beautiful!!! I started knitting in 1965 and never finished that blue-green mohair sweater. I am not at all crafty because I do not have the patience. I'd rather paint a wall. Instant gratification. I'm so excited about seeing all of you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blogs, Katie, not only because I like to hear about your life (which is extremely enviable, btw), but also because it proves how awesome your girls are.
    Unicorn beds and teacups? I think yes.

    ReplyDelete