16 December, 2010

Bits and pieces

Just a collection here of some awesomeness I would like to share with you all. Hope your holiday preparations are warm and fuzzy.

Persimmon Bread

You can find a recipe here. Have you tried a persimmon lately? Or ever? Really really delicious. When they are under ripe, it's like eating tart cotton balls. But when ripe, they are heavenly. Plus, they're loaded with potassium, so if you have muscle cramps these are helpful. Oh, and lots of vitamin A. On a recent trip to Whole Foods Bela and Mae were intrigued by this fruit. The only thing I know to do with it is to make it into bread, and it is one of those sweet, dense, wonderful breads that you end up shoving into your mouth by the fistful, just to get the stuff out of your house faster so it stops torturing you. I used whole wheat pastry flour, and I'll bet it would be great in waffles or pancakes.

On-Line Toy Stores
My time is running out for homemade Christmas. I can't wait to post photos of gifts made and received. I have a small (but growing) pile of gifts in my room that I've churned out this week. And now that the costumes for the school play are done, I can focus my full attention to the remaining gifts. 

However, I've had to make some adjustments for time and feasibility, and these adjustments include some online shopping. I have a few sites that I always turn to in such moments:





A Toy Garden   





The Wooden Wagon









Nova Natural


Magic Cabin





Hearth Song







Craft Blog    


My favorite craft magazine just started a blog. This sweet magazine is published four times a year, and is full of craft ideas to do for and with kids. Plus, it's a great source of information on wool festivals, yarn suppliers, etc. If you're into crafting, you should check this out.








And lastly....



Like to run? Can't get motivated to run outside in these midwest winters? That's me. So I just joined CARA's winter marathon training program that starts on (brrrrrr!) January 8th. I should be ready to go for the Illinois Marathon in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment