I know, two posts back to back. A bit excessive. But this is something I don't want to forget.
Saturday, Chris took Bela to Wandawega (near Lake Geneva) for some overnight ice fishing and some short film filming. Mae and I stayed home and baked and played at the park and watched the Oscars. At some point, I tried to steal some time away so I could sew a new skirt for Mae - an a-line, bias cut cute little floral skirt with a fold over elastic pink waistband.
Anyway, I was fighting with the serger because I wanted to do a rolled hem edge, and I couldn't get that wooly nylon through both the upper and the lower loopers of the machine. Have you ever tried to thread something silky and thick through tiny holes with dry, winter hands? I was frustrated. And then enraged. And then just plain mean. Mae kept coming into my tiny little sewing space, leaning on me, trying to see what I was doing.
Finally, I (politely, in my opinion) said to her: "Mae, I really don't want any company right now. I'm sorry."
She looked at me, a little perplexed, and asked: "What is Company?"
I thought for a minute. "You are, Mae. You're company right now."
She decided that this request was more or less acceptable, though she left my side slowly. When she finally walked away, she looked back at me and said: "The company is leaving the room."
Later, she came back to ask me a question: "Mom? Mom! The company is talking to you!"
I guess you could say I had my hands full of company this weekend.

No comments:
Post a Comment