23 May, 2011

Wanderlust

I've been out of work for three weeks and I'm officially bored. I would even go so far as to say that I am feeling blue. Unmotivated. Can't read. Can't blog. Can't knit. Completely uninspired.

My brother-in-law (who happens to be an amazingly talented chef at Higgins Restaurant in Portland) was at our house for the last 4 days. He was in town for some chef-type business, but since he had Sunday free we took him to Lake Shabbona, Chris' favorite spot to take the girls when their mommy is feeling rotten. My mother-in-law and I joined the gang, we packed a picnic and loaded the car up with fishing poles.

In the middle of the afternoon, sometime after devouring my third hotdog and my second pound of melon... standing on the shore and casting into the waters of Lake Shabbona, I realized (partly) why this May has been different from Mays past. We have taken no trips.

We love to travel, and I usually spend all of Spring semester counting down the days until I turn in final grades and we pack up and go somewhere. Last year we got in the car and drove 13 hours to the Smoky Mountains, where we camped along deep creek for 7 nights with the girls. Two Mays ago we sent an almost-two-year-old Mae to her grandma's house for a week while we took Bela on a trip to Barcelona, Spain and the Pyrenees.

This year? Check out this earlier post and you may understand why May just isn't going to be what it used to be. This, however, does not mean that we did not have a wonderful time yesterday. In fact, it was a fabulous day. Maybe Waterman, IL isn't Barcelona, Spain, but I hope we go again and again this summer.

Bela on splinter duty 




The end of the day starts to look rainy...

but not too rainy for ice cream. 

Is it ever a bad time for a soft serve twist?

No comments:

Post a Comment