Bela's 1st grade class put on an end-of-the-year play last year. It was
very sweet; all the kids learned all the parts and presented the play in
chorus format. They took turns playing the lead roles and no one had any
solo lines. Bela got to play the princess in the final scene, and don
the coveted princess gown and dance with the king.
Chris and I stood at the back of the performance space, proud as any two parents could be. That is, until the play was over. Our joy and excitement for her was replaced suddenly by feelings of awkwardness and discomfort when she refused to leave center stage. We watched in growing horror as she curtsied and smiled and practically blew kisses to the crowd while her teacher was trying to give a little speech and the rest of her class remained back in their spaces like well-behaved, mildly disinterested performers. We secretly wished someone would take one of those long canes with a hook at the end and yank her off the stage.
It took us about 6 months to get over that. Now I want to get her right back up there.
I loved theater in school, though was late to dabble in it after my smashing 3rd grade star performance in Mrs so and so and the Pear Tree. About half-way through high school, though, I turned in my cheerleading uniform and joined the drama club and the speech team and never looked back. And still never do.
What an amazing gift drama and theater give to kids, don't you think? Childhood, puberty, adolescence - these are times in our lives when things seem big and scary and always changing. When one day we feel like one person, and the next another. Heck, I suppose this never changes. But drama lets our kids try on different personalities, explore different parts of themselves. I really want to get my girls involved.
I began to search for an option that didn't involve me spending gross amounts of money, especially with the risk that they would hate it. What a waste. Old Town School of Folk Music has some really great looking classes, as well as all the other theaters in the area. But I wanted something cheaper. I wanted something free.
Then I saw the posting on Every Block. The local Methodist church was holding auditions for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Coat. They needed kids 4 and up for chorus roles.
Perfect!
We arrived at the church at 6:00 on the dot and there was only one other little girl there. Others began shuffling in as we were getting started. I felt all the nervousness and anxiety of my high-school play audition days return.
Then they called Bela. She belted out a perfect Happy Birthday, in tune with the piano and all. She was glowing. Then, to my surprise, Mae ran to the piano and did equally as well. I was such a proud mama. We hung around to hear a few more auditions (some pretty comical), and then went back home and had dinner.
That was several weeks ago. I was just about to give up hope when there was another announcement posted on Every Block. Due to severe lack of adult talent, the play has been postponed.
I guess that means, however, there is still hope for Bela and Mae. Stay tuned!

No comments:
Post a Comment