09 May, 2013

Dear Mr. Howe

On our recent drive to Arkansas, we loaded up on audiobooks for the kids, to try to lessen the pain of the 12 hours in the car. Chris downloaded some oldies but goodies from his past - Hatchet (1987 Gary Paulsen) and a couple Bunnicula books (1979 - James Howe).

I never read any of these books as a kid, though I remember one of my brothers had a copy of Hatchet. We got through 20 minutes of it. It was really riveting and I really didn't want to turn it off, but the girls wanted to try something new.

So Chris put on Bunnicula and the girls, especially Bela, were instantly hooked.

Obsessively hooked.

We now have 5 books of the series on audiobook, and two checked out from the library. She listens to them while she's falling asleep, she turns them on in the morning, she reads them at school.

Bela asked us the other night if she could write him a letter. We were tickled. How cute. How cool she is. A fan letter. Yes. Yes!

Because she is 8 and it is 2013, her fan letter was written on the computer. I couldn't immediately find a web page for the author, so I checked to see if he had a facebook page. I found one (obviously unused) page with his name and photo and I set it all up and she sat down with Chris to write it.

This is what she came up with:

Katie Bastion Strong
Dear Mr. Howe my name is Bela Strong I am 8 years old and this is my moms account. I am one of your biggest fan I love your Bunnicula books I have 6 books of Bunnicula. I think Howliday inn is the scariest I like listening to them at night because it gives me the creeps! The books I have are Bunnicula, a rabbit- Tale of mystery,Howliday inn,The celery stalks at midnight,Nighty-Nightmare,Bunnicula meets Edgar alan crow.
thees books are adventurous,scary,interesting and very very very funny. The funny characters are Howie,chester and Harold. you are the best! How much books did you right? Your sincerely, Bela Strong


I sent her to bed and patted myself on the back for having such a neat kid - one who appreciates good books and the authors who write them.

Not surprisingly, Mr. Howe didn't write back the next day. And then I kind of just forgot about the whole thing for another 24 hours - until Chris broke the news.

The girls had been getting into my facebook account to send message after message to this author, over the course of 20 some odd hours. Transcripts below:


  • Katie Bastion Strong
    Dear Mr.Howe,I am Belas little sister I am Mae Strong and I am 5 years old I liked Bunnicula and nighty-Nightmare,Howliday inn and all the other Bunnicula books and thats all. Your sincerely,Mae Strong
    Wednesday 
  • Hi this is Mae I was hoping you will right back to me and Bela. Good books you right I love them so can you please right back please

    Hi this is Bela I sended thees to you (insert a series of weird emoticons here)
    You are the best Mr Howe

    from Bela and Mae
  • Katie Bastion Strong
    Good night Mr Howe, i'm going to bed now...
    I love you Mr Howe!
    from Bela
    Today 
    Katie Bastion Strong
    Im getting one of my favorite Bunnicula books!


    You are the best, Mr. Howe? I love you, Mr. Howe? 6:40 in the MORNING, Mr. Howe?

    Part of me, the part that is still self-conscious and fretful about what other people think, was horrified. What must this man think? I'm some creepy, almost 40-year-old posing as a young girl, harassing him about bunny vampire books? Part of me hoped he never reads these letters.

    But the other part, that part of me that is all MOM, laughed until I cried.







1 comment:

  1. SOOOO cute. A tale all its own. Thanks for taking the time to write it out for us.

    ReplyDelete