17 January, 2014

Party

We celebrated Bela's birthday yesterday with some so- so pizza, a big fat (store bought) cake, and a few presents at La Villa Restaurant. So much more manageable than 20 girls crammed into our dining room, or sleeping on our living room floor.

We've always done it up big for Bela come birthday time. The funny thing is that I'm absolutely NOT a party person. Don't get me wrong, I like to go to one, most times, especially if I don't have to get dressed up. But throw a party?  It fills me with horror and dread.

I don't know where this comes from.

So after the birth of our number three, I simply decided that I could not be forced to throw three big parties a year.

On the one hand, there's the dread.

On the other hand, even the simplest of parties that involves children coming to my house seems to cost a ridiculous amount. After factoring in the cake, the goody bags, the crafts and activities, the food.... not to mention the presents. Added to the fact that Christmas was just two stinking weeks ago...

There has to be some alternating going on. So this year, Bela was out. On a practicality level, she completely understood. But she still made us suffer.

Anyway, I don't want to get all emotional here, but guys... my first baby is nine years old. Next year she'll be 38. Nobody understands the enormity of this, until they do.

Well, the ladies and I are coming down off of birthday high, enjoying the long weekend, but missing Chris. He walked out the door this morning and we will not really see him for many weeks to come. He'd headed to India, Boston, Chile, Mexico, and China in the coming weeks and months.

At least there's leftover cake.

And wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment