![]() |
| Christkindl Market - Daley Plaza, Chicago 12/20/10 |
The following things are making it increasingly difficult for me to accomplish, well, anything:
- My children
- The costumes for the school play (which rocked, in case you were wondering)
- Dirty clothes
- The internet
- Petit Syrah
- Sloth (I refer not to the mammal here, but rather physical and emotional inactivity. The Deadly Sin type).
Between chunky knit cowls and hand-embroidered ornaments, between naps and crying fits, I philosophize about the meaning of giving (and receiving) . And then just this evening, I opened up my email to find that Loopy Yarns had sent me a $10 gift certificate in belated honor of my 30-something-th birthday. It really made my day. I smiled like a little girl and I visualized my visit to the store: my fingers gently touch the cashmere/merino blends; my eyes lead me to the lace weights; my time constraints walk me right back into the room where they keep all their chunky and bulky weight yarn. (Really unfortunate names. I mean, who wants a chunky sweater, after all?)
Now, I know that the ladies of Loopy Yarn don't know me from the next knitter, but I felt really special when I got that little gift from them today. What IS it about getting a gift? That someone is thinking of you? That someone is basically saying, look, this is what I think of when I think of you and I actually think about you - sometime between the parental duties and the laundry and the internet and the wine, you cross my mind.
I really think that most of us all have it all figured out--the meaning of giving and the pleasure of receiving. But I'm starting to wonder if adults without kids aren't missing out. They remind you, I think, of that something that we lose as we get older. They remind you about the pure joy of it all. Bela and Mae are so flippin' happy about Christmas. I know, I know it's because they are now well-versed in the order of the day: wake up, watch everyone smile with glee at you because you are happy, and young, and cute. And So Excited. Open endless presents that are all for you that you hopefully won't have to share with your sister. Eat chocolate. Have your picture taken.
But today, today, the girls and I crafted with a special group of ladies and their broods. After the wine and the food was all cleared up and the kids remembered we were actually there, they joined us at the table and made Christmas lanterns and card stock trees, decorated and sewn together to make the cutest of ornaments. When Mae finished the serious business of adding the last glob of glue and 3/4 cup of glitter to her little tree, I asked her:
"Who do you want to give your gifts to?"
Without a moment's hesitation, she responded: "Uncle Allen."
And I just lit up inside. This little person with clumsy hands just glued and glittered her heart out and knew very specifically that she wanted to send it to someone dear to her. When Mae created today, she thought of my brother-in-law Allen. I gave her a hug. I had...one of those moments. I said to her:
"You will be like Uncle Allen's Santa Claus."
She responded:
"Yeah. Santa's the best."
Yes, indeed.

What a heartwarming post, Katie, and that has got to be one of the best Santa's I've ever seen.
ReplyDeleteRight?
ReplyDelete