- fuel
- hydrate
- pee
- stretch
- get to race on time
Yes, that was me (and a few hundred others, I believe) running against the crowd at the beginning of the 14th Annual Chicago Half Marathon this morning. We were late, so very very late. I knew it would happen. I shed a few tears. We sped. We got stuck in race traffic. And Bears traffic. And 'we're going to shut down Lake Shore Drive so a bunch of crazy people can run on it' traffic.
I ate nothing before this race. The only hydrating I did was my venti Americano with 4 shots of espresso and a splash of milk. I pulled up to Jackson Park at 7:02 (note: after the race started) and still had to run a few blocks to find the starting line. I had to forgo the john. I spent the first 4 miles of the race peeing slowly but methodically in my pants. With every cough. With every elbow jab (it's tough in those crowds sometimes). As soon as the pee met up with the sweat I felt a whole lot better about it. Still, at mile 4 I stood in line to use the port-a-potty and then it was go time.
I don't know what came over me. Maybe it was the Otis Redding on my play list, or all the rad banjo music I added in there. But I ran the fastest half marathon of my career. I finished in 1hr 53 minutes.
There is very little photographic evidence that I was present at today's race. After this morning's events, Chris and I have come to an agreement that will most likely prevent the dissolution of our marriage: he is no longer allowed to come with me to races unless he leaves the kids at home. Chris + Bela + Mae = nobody ever actually makes it to the race course to witness me run. Or cheer me on. I usually have to go looking for them after the race...at the park. Or at a restaurant eating pancakes. Enjoy this photo I made him take. You know, as proof.
PS - I am (most likely) being unfair here. But at least now I'll know if he reads my blog or not :)

No comments:
Post a Comment