26 January, 2011

Three Links

Well, things are starting to feel a little desperate around here.

Chris left Cairo just in time to miss the massive street demonstrations--much to his chagrin, I'm sure. I would imagine it was quite the photo op. Anyway, the girls and I have traced his route from Cairo to Paris, and I was glad to hear that his little feet carried him to Le Comptoir (!). I can't wait to see what he got for me, and I have no shame in saying it.

Tonight before bed little fingers will trace his route across Bela's new globe (thank you Grandma Lou). He will be leaving the Eiffel tower behind and heading to Zurich to set forth on his journey to Davos.

As I write this I'm being serenaded by the sounds of the usually off-limits-on-weekdays television and the click click click of the convection oven as it lovingly prepares a homemade meal of frozen fish filets for the girls. If I can muster up the strength to open a jar of tomato sauce, we might have pasta too.

I have to face it. I've got S.A.D.  Bad. And Chris' absence only underscores the bleakness of everything right now. Chicago, when was the last time we saw the sun? The next three days couldn't go faster.

The girls are anxious too. This morning Bela and Mae woke up in bed with me, and Mae rolled over to me and said:
     "I miss my daddy." And, as an afterthought: "And my flower blanket, too." At least she said daddy first.

Bela very dramatically -- as is her style these days-- said she was feeling sad because it seemed like he was never going to come home. I think she is suffering withdrawal right now. No one will play hide and seek with her, or tickle her until she wets herself. Boring Mom.

I just keep on keeping on. I finished Mae's sweater and will post a picture when it is done blocking. I also took two hats off the needles since the weekend, one will be mailed to my sister-in-law, one is for me to replace my favorite blue hat that I stupidly shrunk in the dryer. I've also got a pullover sweater almost finished for Bela and another cardigan for her that I'm casting on tonight. She picked the yarn this time, so hopefully she'll wear it.

And so we'll pass the days until Chris gets back and we can all rest easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment