08 January, 2011

The wall

Ok, not this wall. But it's hard to take a picture of a proverbial wall.

8 short days after embarking on a year full of goals to meet, I feel like I'm up against the wall. I make it a point to draft goals/resolutions that are easy, that guarantee me some sense of accomplishment from year to year. But I'm having the darndest time accomplishing what I've set my mind to.

I anxiously awaited the first day of Winter Marathon training, slated to start this chilly morning at 8:00 am. Only problem was that it was too chilly, below zero windchill, actually, so it was canceled. A no go.

After being briefly enrolled in a serger class at Evanston's Vogue Fabrics I received a phone call telling me that it was in fact full and I would be refunded and put on a waiting list--#4 on the list, to be exact--which meant no go #2. In a fit of frustration I pulled out the wooly nylon and thread the hell out of that little machine, and somehow I think I managed to get past a problem I was having with it coming un-thread during sewing. Go figure. So, two steps forward, three steps back, one and a half steps forward again?

I finally peered between the covers of a book I recently purchased, one that purports to lead me through the necessary steps in writing a business plan, which I plan to spend a better part of this school year doing. I've come to realize, however, that I need a pre-writing book. Chapter three of my current book discusses the importance of market research but I haven't a clue where to start. Another wall (albeit one that I can easily bust through).

It's only been 8 days, you say. I need to relax, you say. What I haven't mentioned is that I have run out of time and go back to work on Monday, after 5 weeks off. I am lucky to have a good paying job that gives me 4 months off a year. I am fortunate to work with wonderful people. But I can't help but want to put my head in the toilet at the beginning of every new semester. The thought of returning to work makes me a little queasy. It also means I will have to start showering regularly again, and change out of this shirt that I have worn non-stop (with the exception of the two hours it took me to wash and dry it mid week) for the last 8 days.

So to make myself feel better I have jumped into the whole "I will not buy clothes for my kids this year" goal, not completely to their delight. On my way into a department store to buy much needed mittens I suddenly remembered my goal. I figured mittens were included in the deal, so I made a U-turn, walked right out and drove home to go through my stash. I didn't have enough fleece to match the cuffs to the hands, but the girls are going to hate them no matter what, so what does it really matter?

To add to the mittens, I have also recently completed a raglan sleeve sweater for Mae in a pinkish purplish wool/acrylic blend. It is full with a gathered waist and a wide boat neck. She hates it. I will make her wear it.





For Mae - a brown pinwale corduroy dress with miniature blue polka dots.  



 I also was determined to slip a little denim into the girls' wardrobe, and so made a dress for Bela and a skirt for Mae with some cute vintage-y lace trim purchased in New York at Mood Fabrics.



 Next up on the list, socks?

I have something in the early stages for Chris too. By early I mean I have the pattern picked out, ordered the yarn (but it was too girly) and am now awaiting a second order of yarn.



Chris has been busy making things too.  Did you know that he really likes fish?

1 comment:

  1. you're what my surfer boyfriend in undergrad called a "charger," referring to your constant charging forward full speed, not your propensity to spend on credit.

    btw: thank god that fish finally lost those horrifying spots! ;-P

    love you crafty artsy devils

    ReplyDelete