07 January, 2013

Our house

We bought our house - a fixer upper -  in June. We have big dreams and high hopes, lots of plans. But I got ahead of myself. I thought some of the changes I wanted to make were priorities, important ones, can't live in this house until it's done ones. But, like most priorities when things get crazy, when kids outnumber adults, when money runs short, well - they get adjusted. The things I thought needed to be done TODAY are just as easily done SOME DAY.

And I realize I've been putting off sharing photos of the house as it comes along because to me it seemed so unfinished before, not something I wanted to share. Not the definitive "after" photos, but rather "somewhere in the middle" ones.

But we hosted Christmas here this year, and I also realized as I sat here with my wonderful in-laws, with 5 kids running around, with the dogs... my house has become my home and I am completely in love with it. I feel so happy here, so cozy - even though it's frighteningly cold in some rooms. Even though bare bulbs still hang from wires from most wall and ceiling fixtures. Even though it will be years before we can install our wood burning fireplace, renovate the kitchen, fix the porch.

I love it here. And I want to share these photos to mark the progress we're making.

I was not very systematic in the "before" photos. I have random ones from move in, lost the ones from the original listing, found some I didn't know existed. I'm sharing those here as well.

Today, we start in the front room, which is separated from the rest of the first level by a long hallway.

And, so, here we go!

BEFORE:

The fireplace, view from the front bay window. Notice air conditioner through wall. Bricks, mantel, and shelves painted a cream color, walls the same but dirty. Floors are kind of reddish pink. This is the north wall.

South wall, opposite fireplace. Brass sconces. Dirty built in bookcase.

East side of room, hall that connects Living room to rest of first floor. The walls look fresh in this light, but they were very dirty. Big can track lighting in hallway.

Just to right of hallway, another view of bookcase. Behind the shelf is the front entryway.

Door leading to foyer. Stained glass window in foyer, but weird wallpaper. Don't think I got a photo.



Partial view of bay window, which faces west.

A LITTLE LATER

Move in day. Walls had been freshly painted a crisp white. Floors were refinished the day before moving in, so they were covered in butcher's paper for the first month we lived here.

EVEN LATER



View from front door

built in - painted in gloss

a little something I'm working on

Pyramid 1. I love these things.




Remember this fireplace mantel? It had at least 5 layers of paint. I stripped and sanded and let sit for months. Just recently sanded and stained and applied several coats of poly.

the tree :)

On the mantel: This came from my great grandpa

I sanded and painted the built-ins that flank the fireplace


The other side

My new one! Thanks Chris. Pyramid 2.

I cleaned and painted the brick white.


Desk


Looking west into bay window. Found this couch used and I love it, though it's really stained and needs re-covering.


Living room. Floor refinished.


Wall east of fireplace. Found the awesome cabinet used and it is where I hide all my yarn.


Sheep skin from farm Chris shot some photos at.
I painted the entryway and hallway something called "Spiced Cashews." Makes me hungry. FLOR tiles cover 15 foot hallway where floorboards are starting to sag in.

Gillian knows where I keep my knitting needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment