27 January, 2013

Solo

Bela hugs moss during our trip to the conservatory last week
Chris has been very very busy lately. In this city and that, here and there, up late and gone early kind of busy. The girls complained today: We never get to see Daddy. We only get to hang out with YOU. I tried to not be too offended, because really, I was feeling the exact same way. Sheesh.

This weekend he's in the Virgin Islands. We knew the job was a go about a week ago, and I did my best to secure child care (free child care, that is) so I could go too. My trip would have been covered. 36 hours of solo adult time while Chris worked his tail off. Me, beach, wine. Sleeping through the night for the first time in over a year. Maybe a pair of running shoes in my bag but probably not. My carry on luggage is preciously small.

But alas, it was not in my fate to escape the constant and perpetual juvenile company that fills my home. Doing it alone, over the weekend, when I had piles of other work to do also...well, it left a sick sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I would have wrung Chris's neck on his way out the door if he hadn't have left so freaking early (3:30 am!).

But you know what? It wasn't so bad. I didn't get a lick of my actual paid work done, not a bit. But we roasted a chicken and made soup, we baked some snickerdoodles, ate ice cream, bought some clothes for the ladies (our favorite consignment shop had a 75% off sale!), watched a movie, and spent the afternoon at UIC pool today.

And now? I'm in the basement office, with wine, more soup on the stove, and three tuckered out little girls upstairs asleep.

*******

Bela has been anxious lately, missing Chris, worrying about him traveling so much by plane. Here's a letter she left for him before he took off for San Francisco last week:

Dear Dad I am afrade that you would crash in the plain. Do they have any life flotys so you can flote down? Love Bela
 I bawled when I found it.

And here are the texts she's been sending him from my phone while he slaves away in paradise:

Saturday
Dear Dad I am so exited that the baby is walking. I am also exited for you to come home to day. I was watching the baby so I playd with my toys and Gill was by the bed and then walkt to me! I miss you. Love Bela.

Dib you get my message? I cleaned the house do you know that I mopt the floor and swept the floor and poor glass cleaner on the windows anb made cookies love Bela Strong

Gess what mom got ice cream that hade little bits of cake in it! and it taste like cake! Love bela

 Sunday
Hi how are you doing did you land yet? Love you from Bela

Me and Mae got new tap shrews! love bela

Are you alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment